Thursday, March 30, 2006

Till Grunewald: Phonosource


Till Grunewald's Phonosource album was an impulse buy in a Tokyo Tower Records. They had some music playing in the jazz section and I listened while browsing, eventually deciding to buy since I liked what I heard. It worked!

It starts off fun and a little funky with a sax and trumpet discussion in front of the tight rhythm section. Next comes a really nice arrangement of Caravan. What you're noticing is a modern jazz sound with technically proficient and musically interesting stuff going on. Aside from Caravan, the tracks are all originals:
  1. 166
  2. Caravan
  3. Thesis
  4. Devil's dance
  5. Recyclin'
  6. Land's End
  7. Some Other Train
  8. Spring Song
Not just your typical straight-ahead stuff, but nice compositions, thoughful melodies and structure, and nice production and packaging. I would look forward to more discs from these Swiss musicians. Definitely recommended, one of my favorite unexpected discoveries in 2005.

2 comments:

Salsa said...

Visit my blog (Brazil): http://www.jazzseen.blogspot.com./. If you don’t understand Portuguese, don’t worry, you can listen jazz.

Tom Medhurst said...

Hi There, I play in the Jazz duo "Idle Words" and we are offering Jazz Bloggers a copy of our press-kit/album in exchange for the possibility of a review their blog. If you are interested, please email me on: tom@idle-words.co.uk

Also we are offering a free MP3 download to you or your readers who join our mailing list (www.idle-words.co.uk/contact-us.shtml).

Many Thanks,
Tom